Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Sunflowers and a trip to my favorite city

At the beginning of September I kept seeing pictures on Instagram and Facebook of these incredible sunflower fields.  I was so intrigued!  How did I not know about these fields?!  So a couple weeks ago I picked the kids up after school, drove thru Chick-Fil-A and hit the road.  It was about 45-50 minutes and in the middle of nowhere!  
 Wowza!  We definitely missed their peak as they were started to wilt a bit and there were lots of bugs. Still pretty though!
 I wasn't sure what the kids were going to think, specifically Cooper.  I figured he was going to be bored.  Those binoculars came with their Chick-Fil-A meals and they were perfect.
 Our favorites. 

 As we were walking, Cooper saw this sunflower and said, "Don't you feel sorry for that one.  It's probably lonely all by itself."  Yep Coop, I am sad for it too.

 The sunflower field isn't manned - no store front, nothing.  You park on the side of the street and their are boxes with locks to donate $1 for each flower you pick.  Laney picked one as big as her face!
 He opted for a smaller one, with no bugs.



It was about 1:30 at this time, I knew naps were out of the question and we were too close to my favorite city to not visit.  I asked the kids if they wanted to go see where the Jayhawks played basketball and got a resounding YES!
 I had just planned on parking at Allen Fieldhouse and letting the kids run around the grass while I fed Pippi.  We were pleasantly surprised to find it open!!!!  Not the court :( - just the hall of fame.  For those of you that don't know, that is a National Championship trophy.  Yep, we are awesome.  I filled the kids in (mostly Cooper) on lots of Kansas basketball history.  
 They have some interactive things - the kids had fun.  This is Laney testing her vertical.

 We hung out here for about 30 minutes before I realized we had parked illegally.  I forgot how hard it is to find parking on campus during school!!!  No ticket - phew.  Also no Uncle Bill sighting :(.
 We drove around and I watched those college kids walk to class with so much envy!  I took the kids by Adam's fraternity and my sorority (pictured here).  
The kids were so awesome all day that we stopped for ice cream on Mass street before we headed home.  
I can't believe it has taken me 6 months to take the kids up to Lawrence  - it really is my favorite city!  I wanted to move there (and still would!) when we moved back to Kansas and Adam said I was crazy.  Can't wait to take them back - so much more to see and do, including The Hawk!  Kidding!

No comments:

Post a Comment