Thursday, May 30, 2013

Laney the Patient

Laney has had lots of ear infections in her short 21 months of life.  Since January she has had one every month, so in April this led to the topic of ear tubes with our pediatrician.  With Aunt Tanya being an audiologist and Adam's work, we were very familiar with them.  We visited the referred ENT who was great and decided tubes was the way to go with Laney Faith.
I honestly didn't think twice about it until the night before her surgery.  Adam has seen the surgery done multiple times and I was very aware of how simple it was.  However, that night before I did get a tad worried about my teeny tiny (ok, she's not so teeny tiny) Laney going under anesthesia.  I was also dreading the next morning because she is an early bird that demands milk the moment we get downstairs and we weren't scheduled to be at the surgery center until 8:45.
She didn't fail me...up at 7 on the dot.  However, I distracted her most of the morning playing in our room and watching Mickey Mouse and Jake.  At 8:30 we were all out the door, Doodles clueless.
 And within minutes I already loved this place.  I mean, Senior Citizen clowns?!?  Is there much better than that?  And guess how old Professor Owl is?  94!  Ninety-Four!!!  Look at that make-up and those shoes!  His partner in crime, Joyfull, didn't reveal her age.  They were precious and so sweet with all the kids!
 Laney was not impressed.  Her milk and food meltdown was in full swing and I couldn't blame her.  It was 9:30 and she spotted sippy cups and snacks in my bag.
She was all good when we got called back.  She had Jakey, Lovey and Madagascar was on TV.  I continued to love this place.  The staff was incredible.  Adam kept reminding me that was their job but really...they were the nicest people.  I kind of didn't want to leave, I just love people that love their job or do an incredible job of pretending to love their job.  I mean, the anesthesiologist called me the night before and left his home number on my voicemail!  Maybe this is routine and luckily we don't know the routine because so far our kids have stayed healthy.
They gave her a nose spray full of kiddie-valium and all was good.  She loved her nurse and happily went back to the OR with her...of course never letting go of Lovey and Jakey. :)
From the time she left my arms to the time her doctor came to see us was 12 minutes!  I knew it was quick, but didn't expect it to be that quick!  He was fabulous and said everything was perfect.  We had to wait about 10 more minutes to go back and see her.  She was post-op drunk.  Couldn't stop drinking this apple juice.  
We got home and she demolished some food...girlfriend was freakin' starving.  After that it was as if nothing ever happened.  She may have had surgery that morning but it didn't slow her down one tiny bit!  I am so happy it is over and so happy for her that she (hopefully) won't be in anymore ear pain!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah Laney!!! Ash, I bet you she starts talking a TON in the next month or so. Love the pics.. and, the clowns??? Man, I love old people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HILARIOUS!!! Good to know our audiologist doesn't just make it sound easy �� Side note: I just bought Hadley those same PJs from Target & she wore them last night. They are 18 MONTHS! Good work mama & Laney Faith!

    ReplyDelete