Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Battle of the Bottle!

I have mentioned our struggle with getting Pippi to take a bottle, right?  What can I say, the girl loves herself some breastfeeding.
I have left her several times for various reasons over the course of her 5 months of life but not for too many hours.  I think I have only been gone for 2 feedings at a time…maybe 3 once.  In other words, I haven't been away from her for very long!  She has taken bottles but not easily and not a lot.  It has been a battle.
The bottle line-up.  Here is what we have tried and in that order.  And yes, those are nipple shields on the end, tried those somewhere in the middle.  Piper refused to nurse with them on.  Cooper set his Robin up and I didn't move it because I thought it was kind of fitting.  I imagine that Piper would love for Robin to shoot all those bottles down so she doesn't have to take them :).  
The last bottle seems to be the winner.  It's the old school Playtex with the drop in liner.  The liner works because the bottle givers (she refuses a bottle for me!) can squeeze the milk to encourage her to keep eating :).  
She has never taken more than 4 ounces at a time and never formula.  She usually takes 2-3 ounces.  We feel like we are on the right track now and making major progress but it hasn't been easy, that's for sure!  I always thought those people were crazy that said their babies wouldn't take a bottle and now I am one of those people!!!!!  
If you have any advice on this topic, I want it!  Send it my way, please!!!!!!


1 comment:

  1. Wow Ashley, she sounds like my Anna. The only bottle she would eventually take was a Playtex with the liner too. My biggest problem was I was working full time. So she didn't sleep through the night until well after a year. She was hungry! She never took more than 4 ounces from a bottle. I had so much left over breast milk in the freezer only because she wouldn't drink it. Not sure how I managed to function that year teaching, but it somehow worked out. At 12 months I stopped pumping and only fed her morning at night and she kind of drank regular milk during the day. And then around 13 months I only nursed her before bed. She gave up breastfeeding on her own one night when she was 15 months old. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete