Sunday, April 19, 2015

Kindergarten Round Up

Yes, that's right, Kindergarten round up.  I would like to know how this happened...
He has been so sweet from day 1.  I remember late nights feeding him and telling Adam when he was sleeping thru the night that I kind of missed our middle of the night feeding sessions.  (clearly a first born thought as I could basically sleep when I wanted to during the day!)  We brought him home in Texas, moved to St. Louis shortly after, were back in Texas before he was 18 months and finally in Kansas when he turned 5 1/2.  I swear that is what made him the best traveler!
For 2 years and 12 days, it was me and him from 9-5...more like 7-6 and lots of nights and weekends due to Dad's traveling.  We played endless hours of trucks, reading books, and ball.  I remember the days when the minutes and hours seemed to slowly tick by...looking at the clock and thinking it's only 3:30!?  I thing I was even bored at times...ha! I can't imagine being bored now...it kind of sounds dreamy!  
I swear to you we were just celebrating his first birthday!!!  However, somehow it is time for him to head to Kindergarten...can you tell I am just a tad bit sad about this ;).  I can't believe he could have gone last year!  Best decision ever was holding him back a year!!!!!
 We walked to school which was fun, he thinks that's pretty cool.  He was really excited, couldn't stop talking on the way there and then about 30 feet from the door tells me, "I am scared.  But it will be ok, I was scared of preschool too and it was good."  His heart kills me...and will probably keep me sane when I have 2 teenage girls, yikes!
I had warned him that we were going to be separate for a while but other than that I wasn't sure what was planned for the morning.  We walked in and a sweet 4th grade girl whisked him away with all the other kids.  Only in Blue Valley do you get a 2 hour presentation on Kindergarten...what?!  Is it just because I used to be a teacher...this seems to be a little much!  I mean, they are babies!  You are supposed to teach them how to share, walk in a line, and start their love for reading.  I just want a teacher that truly loves what she is doing to inspire him to love learning-who cares if a kid is reading by the end of Kindergarten???
After 2 hours we were reunited and walked back home.  I asked him how it was and his reply was, "It was good, I only cried for you a little bit."  What?!  I asked him why and he said, "You had been gone a real long time and I missed you, then a teacher told me you would be back soon so I stopped."  I couldn't believe it-I really didn't think he would miss me a bit!  He said he had fun and saw some kids from preschool, soccer and baseball.

The first day of school is also his 6th birthday, August 12th...it's really not fair to a mom to hit 2 big milestones in one day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment