Thursday, January 10, 2013

Allen Fieldhouse - trip #2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My goal is to take my kids to Allen Fieldhouse every season.  It's one of favorite places in the whole world and I have the most incredible memories from Lawrence.  I missed last season because I was selfish and went with girlfriends, sorry kids.  The timing was perfect this year, however we didn't have tickets. I was sure we could just grab them from scalpers before the game...we were playing a no name team and school was still out.  Ha, I was wrong.  No one was selling tickets, everyone was looking for them and it was about 35 degrees below zero and windy.  Thank God for Adam.  Coop and I don't do cold weather so we huddled inside.  He found us 2 tickets just minutes before the game started and wasn't sure what he was going to do.  Luckily, he found a single minutes later.  We sat separate :(, Coop was with me.  Then we never made it back to our seats after half, too much exploring to do and we were killing the opponent (shocker)!  

You can see Coop's first visit here.

 We just walked in.  Waiting on players/coaches to run thru tunnel.  He was totally intimidated by the big players but was 100% ecstatic to see Uncle Bill and get a high five.  Seriously, his face was priceless.  He told me, "I will know it's him because his picture is right there." :)
 Taking it all in.  
We had an intense basketball lesson during that first half.  He's never into the details when watching on TV, but he took a lot in that hour.  We talked a lot about McClemore/Withey, always looking for Uncle Bill, wondering when the cheerleaders were coming back on court, offense/defense, timeouts, free throws.  Man, I was in heaven.
 Our perfect view.

 He was determined to meet Big or Baby Jay.  
 All that's missing is Doodles.  Sorry Doodles, you can't sit still for longer than 2.5 seconds :(.  Next year, I promise!
 A tad stalkerish, didn't want to leave Baby Jay's side.
 My favorite wall in Allen Fieldhouse, obviously not Cooper's.
 I told Adam this is like my Walt Disney World.  Seriously, happiest place on Earth.  The tradition and excellence is absolutely incredible, almost surreal.  Ok-I should stop now:).  
 We spent the 2nd half checking out all the history and basketball simulation activities.
An incredible vertical leap.
 After the game he was anxious to see the players.  He wriggled his way between some big kids and held out his tiny hand for some high fives from the the big guys.  
See him in their?

I asked Adam if we could do this every week? :)  It was paradise and so fun to have Cooper truly enjoy himself and take part!  I am excited because we already have tickets to the TCU game and just in case, our Final Four tickets are purchased too!  



No comments:

Post a Comment