Friday, February 10, 2012

Ouch!

Isn't this always how it goes, you have a master plan to get kids bathed and in bed early (or just on time) so you can enjoy the KU game live (especially since Dad is out of town) and not dvr'ed, but you know what happens next...all he&@ breaks loose!  I was changing Laney's diaper and Cooper was wearing his version of gloves (pot holders).  He went to get me a pair and apparently when running back, he fell and busted his mouth (literally) on the tile floor.  I came in the kitchen to a screaming toddler and a very bloody mouth.  My first thoughts?  Oh no, is it bad enough for stitches??  Well, it wasn't, I got the blood under control pretty quickly.  However, I had a hard time figuring out where exactly all the blood was coming from, there were 2 cuts in his lower lip-I think from his two top teeth.  His top lip was bloody and fat.  And then he opened up his mouth and I saw his gums...ugh, they were bleeding and already completely bruised.  The pics can tell the rest of the story...

 This is pretty soon after.  I just couldn't get him to stop crying-it took his blanket, a juice box and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.  I also gave him some Tylenol as I was afraid he would have a hard time sleeping.
 So...instead of early bedtime, we did bath and watched the first half of the KU game together.  No worries, that isn't blood, just a popsicle.  Doesn't it look like he has Botox in his lips?
 This is right before bed.  His lip swelling had gone down, but those gums and teeth...yuck!  It made my stomach queasy every time he opened his mouth.  He was totally fine at this point, however I was not-as soon as he was asleep I left a message for his dentist to make an appt.
 On the way to the dentist the next morning.  We stopped for a breakfast smoothie as I didn't know what he should eat...gums were still bleeding and nasty looking.
Oh my gosh, I love our dentist, it is a pediatric office and they are so kid friendly!  Coop got to pick a movie (Toy Story, duh!) and he was in heaven since he rarely gets to watch movies.  They did an x-ray, he did awesome so they gave him that green football.  X-rays came back good-no root damage.  He did have a couple teeth mobile with worry of infection, so they put him on antibiotics.  When we left the office, Coop said to me, "Mom, I love that place!"  

We are 9 days out from initial fall and everything seems to be healed up fine, we go back in March for checkup...fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment